MacLean’s Cross, a tall free standing cross, was probably erected in the 1400’s. The cross is a rarity, as only a few of Iona’s stone cross survived the Reformation and apparently 357 of them did not, which is a great shame. The crosses were pray stations for pilgrims coming to the Island.
The solid wheel head depicts the crucifixion and the broad faces are carved with an interlaced pattern, continuing the celtic tradition.
From our visit 2013